Friday, July 8, 2011

The elusive Petrol stam....a novel: chapter 1

If you know anything about the fall 2005 collection, or Stam bags in general, then I am sure you've seen the picture of Linsay Lohan carrying a nice pretty blue toned bag....



Way back in 2005, I was under some incredible lucky circumstances and managed to be able to order a taupe stam from Bergdorf Goodman. Here's a lovely shot of the nappa taupe version from Neiman Marcus's look-book....I'm pretty sure it was an exclusive.




I don't know if I have ever shared with you, my dear readers, how my MJ fascination took off in flight or how I discovered my love of the brand. I know I have shared tidbits on The Purse Forum....where I frequently post. It all happened one fine day while browsing the latest issue of vogue....august or september....and I stumbled across a lovely editorial with the flame haired vixen Karen Elson. The last picture in the shoot was this gorgeous red knit dress, a fluffy cat and an amazing bag. At that time, I did not know who or what MARC JACOBS was.....



After seeing this I frantically began searching boards and forums for ID's and maker....I totally thought it was a Chanel or Versace or something. My thread got combined with another and I found out about the man MARC JACOBS....

Soon after that, stores began selling out. Barneys was out. Celebs were being spotted with the bags as fast as the paparazzi's flash bulbs were going off. In the decade of the "It-bag" a new one was born in the early months of fall 2005.



I was so lucky to have gotten one back then. It came in a huge silver gift box with a purple ribbon I still have. I couldn't believe the weight of it when I got it. And honest to god I was terrified and in amazement of something so beautiful, something so expensive...

years have gone by. My taupe stam has been so many places with me....job interviews, conventions, shopping trips, parties, college and honeymoons...concerts and dinners....

Since my initial infatuation with MJ....I must have owned almost every goddamn style he has ever put out. A lot of styles just did not work...whether it be the weight or the style or the colors....there always seemed to be something. Last year I started to realize that I fell in love with the stam, and perhaps it wasn't complete insanity after buying and selling countless bags, to perhaps have multiples of one I adores, one that worked for me..

And so this year I have tried to make it a point in buying things I know will last me years, and style-wise I know will work for me day to day. It's one of the reasons I adore the stam bag: it's chic simplicity, it's easy access, it's classic quilting and myriad of colors...I swear it's a dream bag. It's ingenious. It's practical, it's perfection.

to be continued....



No comments:

Post a Comment